By protecting and improving our environment, the communities where we do business and the students we serve, Sodexo makes every day a better day and every tomorrow a better tomorrow.

Frequently Asked Questions

How does the meal plan work? 

The meal portion of the plan provides credits for prepaid meals at Hopper Dining Hall and the Gamecock Diner. When using meals at Hopper you can eat them in any combination of the all-you-care-to-eat breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. The only restriction on board meals is that you are allowed only one breakfast, one lunch and one dinner per day (except on the unlimited plan which allows unlimited dining all day at Hopper only). The meal plan can be used only by the valid cardholder. If the student wishes to treat a friend, he/she must use dollars from their flex account. On the 14 or 10 meals per week plan, the meals are reset each week on Monday morning for a new set of meals for the upcoming Monday through Sunday period. If you do not use all of your 14 or 10 meals within the week they will not roll over to the next week. There are no refunds on the unused meals.

How do the flex dollars work? 

The meal plan also provides a declining balance account of flex dollars to be used at campus dining locations such as Hopper Dining Hall, Gamecock Diner, WOW Cafe and Wingery, Jazzman's Cafe and Coffee Shop and the Theron Montgomery Building Food Court which includes Chick-fil-A, Freshens, and Mein Bowl. The flex dollar portion of the plan is preset at the beginning of the semester depending on the plan you have chosen. Think of the flex dollars as a declining balance just like your checking account. As items are purchased the cost is deducted from the balance in your flex account by using your JSU ID card just like a debit card. Your new balance can be obtained immediately after the transaction. The flex dollars will roll over semester to semester within the academic year in which they are purchased but will not carry over to the following academic year. All flex dollars are cleared at the end of the July session. There are no refunds on the unused flex dollars left in your account.

How do I purchase a resident plan? 

When you fill out your application for a campus dorm you will be asked to choose your plan and your MyJSU account will be billed the $1,650.00 resident dining fee. If you do not select a plan on your housing application you will be placed on the default plan of 10 meals per week with $400 flex dollars. You will be allowed to make changes to the plan through the last official day to register for classes as determined on the academic calendar. Or, if you prefer, simply fill out the plan selection form and hit submit. This does not charge your MyJSU account it only tells us which meal plan you choose.

How do I purchase a commuter plan? 

There are four options to pay for a commuter meal plan.

  • Option #1 If you want to have the meal plan charged to your MyJSU account so your financial aid, loans, or unrestricted scholarships can pay for the plan, you'll need to take care of this in person. It requires your signature before we can transfer the charges. Come to the office of the dining hall and let us know you need to follow this procedure and we'll give you further instructions. This cannot be taken care of by phone.

  • Option #2 If you want to purchase the plan with a credit or debit card over the phone, you can call (256) 782-7242 and we'll be glad to help you. Be prepared with your student ID number, credit/debit number, expiration date and billing zip code.

  • Option #3 If you prefer to purchase a plan with cash, check or money order, you can stop by the office located in Hopper Dining Hall and we'll be glad to help you. Where is the office? If you're facing the dining hall, go to the left hand side of the building, proceed up the ramp and go in the second door. The office is located just inside this door.

  • Option #4 If you want to purchase a plan with a specified meal scholarship and you can see this meal scholarship is already in place on your MyJSU account, you don't have to do anything other than let us know which plan you prefer. Do this by sending an email to (include your student number) or go back to the website and enter the information through the resident dining plan registration. Under the comment section you can state the type of scholarship you are receiving.

If I purchase a commuter plan, can I make payments? 

If you choose the block plan or flex plan it must be paid in full at the time of purchase. If you choose the unlimited, 14 or 10 plan you can pay in full or pay half at the time of purchase with the other half due on October 1st for the fall semester and February 1st for the spring semester. If you choose the second option you must make your first down payment with a credit card that will be billed automatically for the second payment on the payment due date. If for some reason the card is rejected your meal plan will be cancelled until payment is received. You are responsible for the full purchase price with no exceptions.

Registrations for off campus plans are not accepted through our web page. You can call (256) 782-7242 if you want to pay with a credit/debit card or you can stop by the office located in Hopper Dining Hall to pay with cash or check.

Can I get a refund on my Meal Plan if I change my mind? 

Meal plans are non-refundable unless you withdraw from the university and request a refund in writing to Sodexo.

Can I change my meal plan? 

Students will be allowed to make changes to the plan through the last day to register for the semester as determined by the academic calendar. Once this decision is made you will be using this plan throughout the semester. Your next option to change will be the following semester.

As a commuter student can I change my plan? 

Students will be allowed to make changes to the plan up to the last day to register for the semester as determined by the academic calendar. There are no refunds on the meal plan unless you withdraw from the university; therefore, you must change to a plan of equal or higher value.

Where do I go to purchase or make changes to my plan? 

You will go to the dining services office located at Hopper Dining Hall. Or, you can email changes to Just remember all changes must be made by the last day to register for classes.

How do I access my meal plan and flex dollars? 

As a first time student you will be issued a JSU ID card during your orientation visit. If you are not attending an orientation you can acquire your card from the ID office located on the second floor of the Theron Montgomery Building after you have registered for classes. If you are a returning student you will use the same ID year after year throughout your JSU attendance. Your meal plan and flex dollars will be accessed with this ID card.

What if I lose my ID card? 

You should report your card as "lost" immediately to the ID office where you will be issued a different card at a replacement cost of $25.00. The lost card will be invalidated.

Can I loan my meal plan to a friend? 

Your meal plan is not valid to anyone other than yourself. The JSU ID card has your picture on it for security purposes and prevents the card from being used by others. The plan is non-transferable.

Where do I use my meals? 

Board meals on the unlimited, 14 and 10 plans are to be used at Hopper Dining Hall or the Gamecock Diner.

Where can I use my flex dollars?

Flex dollars can be used at Hopper Dining Hall, Gamecock Diner, WOW Cafe and Wingery, Jazzman's Coffee Shop, Chick-fil-A, Mein Bowl, and Freshen's.

Do meals carry over week to week on the meal plans?

Meals do not carry over week to week on the 14 and 10 meal plans and you can't borrow meals from one week to the next. There are no refunds on missed meals.

What constitutes a week? 

Monday breakfast is the first meal of the week with Sunday dinner being the last meal of the week.

Can I carry meals out of the dining hall? 

No. Take-out is only available at the Gamecock Diner and retail locations.

Can I use my account without my ID card? 

For security reasons you must have your ID card to use your meal plan with no exceptions.

When can I start using my plan? 

Meals usually begin with breakfast on the first day of classes and will end with lunch on the last day of finals. These start and end dates are subject to change.

What do they serve at the dining hall? 

A little bit of everything. You can expect to see entrees, veggies, breads, salads, deli items, made to order subs, pizza, burgers, desserts, beverages, and the list goes on and on. You can get daily menus on our website at A meal from your plan consists of as much as you want once your card is scanned for that meal period. There are also Gluten-Free and allergy accommodations. 

How is Gamecock Diner different from Hopper Dining Hall? 

The Gamecock Diner is more of a restaurant style atmosphere. You place your order at a kiosk which sends your order to the chef. He/she will prepare your plate as requested while you make your salad and get your beverage and dessert. Once your order is ready for pick up you will be notified. This location does not serve unlimited seconds.

What if I use all my meals before the week is over? 

Simply use flex dollars to purchase additional meals in Hopper Dining Hall, Gamecock Diner or one of the retail locations any time their open.

If I don't have a meal plan can I still eat in the dining room or the diner? 

Yes. Breakfast is $8.50, lunch is $10.00, dinner is $10.00. We accept cash, credit card, debit card and flex dollars.

Do meals carry over semester to semester on the 80 block plan? 

The 80 meals must be used within the semester they are purchased. You do not have to use a set number of meals each week but you must use all 80 meals within the semester. There are no refunds on unused meals.

Are you open every day throughout the semester? 

Dining services will be available with the exception of major holidays. Generally, if there are no classes for the day, the dining hall will be closed for that day. The dining hall provides three meals a day Monday through Friday with two meals a day on Saturday and Sunday.

Can I get a refund on any portion of my flex dollars if I do not use them? 

No, unused flex dollars are not refunded. Flex dollars purchased in the fall will roll for one academic year but must be used by the last day of the July session.

What if I have more questions? 

Our office is only a phone call away at 256-782-7242. Our office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. You can email us at Visit our website for more details at

Policies and Procedures 

One of our main goals is to provide a pleasant, clean, comfortable and satisfying dining experience. In order to meet this goal we ask for your assistance with the following:

Bus your tray and disposables to the dish return area after you've finished your meal

Refrain from taking food, dishes, utensils or condiments out of the dining area

Remember that meal plans are non-transferable

Meal plans cannot be used by anyone other than the validated recipient

You must present your JSU ID card to use your meal plan or flex dollars

Be courteous to your fellow diners - please refrain from using obscene language while in our dining facilities and please wear appropriate clothing so as not to offend anyone

Jacksonville State University | Dining Services | 700 Pelham Road North | Hopper Dining Hall | Jacksonville, AL 36265 | tel. (256) 782-7242 | Contact Us